Support for young girls through education and by sensitising society

Equal rights for women – a difficult process in Bangladesh. Girls have to take a back seat in many fields, including education. They spend fewer years at school than boys, which means that the education level of women is substantially lower than that of men, which is already low. Also the fact that many schools do not have girls’ toilets discourages some girls from going to school. Their precarious life situation continues into adulthood: 60 % of married women have experienced violence at the hands of their husband or his relatives. Rape, dowry-related conflicts and forced or child marriages are far from rare.

The project in brief:

A total of 150 under-age girls from excluded ethnic minorities receive scholarships allowing them to attend secondary school.  The aim is to offer girls, who are often excluded from social life because of their gender and ethnic origin, a quality education which in turn will enable them to learn a trade. In addition, all schoolgirls attend workshops four times a month on the subject of human rights. There they learn about their own rights and how to obtain them in everyday life. This fosters the girls’ self-confidence and teaches them not to simply accept their situation as unchangeable, but to insist on respect for their rights.

However, in order to permanently improve the social status of women and girls, it is important to reach society in general. For this reason awareness workshops are offered, so as to draw the attention of as many people as possible (including teachers and parents) to the rights of girls.

Total project cost (2017-2020): €99 983

80% of this amount will be provided by the Luxembourg Foreign Ministry. The remaining 20% (€19 996,68) will be covered by CSI together with the partner organisation.

Print Email

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.